Thursday, May 29, 2008

WHEN DO THEY SLEEP?????

Oh that she still slept like this!!!!


So it's 10.45pm and that little terd, my daughter, decided to wake up! why??? Who the crap knows. I fed her an hour ago after letting her cry for a bit and she went right to sleep. Now...she's up again. The Pediatrician said to wait til she's 6 months to let her cry back to sleep if she wakes up in the night. This getting her to sleep thing is totally stressing us out. I try not to let it but FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! We want some kind of schedule and I suppose I'm just not patient enough to work for it...who knows! I figure if we can make it through Charly's first year and this poopy sleep business...we're good forever!!! Letting her cry it out tends to stress Chris out and makes me feel heartless when it's ME that says..." Nope, let her cry...she has to learn." Is that bad? You mom's...advice??

7 comments:

Katie said...

Sarah! How are you??? Cute little girl! Our doctor said to wait until 6 months and Lucy is almost 7 months and we finally feel like we're ready to put our foot down and teach her how to sleep through the night. I am NOT looking forward to it one bit, but the Doc also says it usually only takes a few nights. I am looking forward to more sleep.

Katie said...

Oh and our Doc also said that at 6 months they are physically and neurologically ready sleep for 10 hours and self calm. AND he said that crying doesn't hurt a baby, but it does make them tired.

Torrie said...

We tried the cry it out with Drew but he had a tendancy to cry for hours. Since we were in the apartment, that didn't last too long since I didn't want to bug the neighbors. We put many miles on our car at 2 in the morning trying to get him to go to sleep. If I knew Avery was dry and fed, not too hot or cold, we would let her cry for a little bit (usually 10 minutes max, but she usually fell asleep before that). Our results? Drew didn't sleep through the night until he was 15 months and Avery was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. I don't think it had anything to do with crying it out or not but since she sleeps so much better, she keeps a much better schedule than Drew did and now she sleeps 12 hours at night. Drew has never slept for 12 hours so I think it just depends on the kid. Hopefully Charly will see the light, or rather the slumber filled dark and you can get some sanity back!

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

I am not a mom, but HOLY MOLY that pic of you three is SO cute and Charly is so sweet. I know it sucks to not be able to sleep ( I would be one crabby person if I didn't get my sleep) but she won't do this for much longer, just hang in there. Find a good book to read I guess.

Megan Gunyan said...

Hey Sar--yeah, I think it totally depends on the kid. With Claire, we started letting her cry around 9 months (first kid, you wait as long as you can, right?), but with Sophie, she just started sleeping longer on her own. It was a dream. With Jake, who knows? I have to wait a little longer to start skipping his feedings. Just hang in there! It always helped me to think, "they won't always wake up at night---just think of when they're teenagers!" Yeah, I know. I was really grasping for something to hold on to there. :)

spaceyhawks said...

YAY!!! I am so glad you added me. I have wondered so many times about you! What a gorgeous little one. I'm due in Nov. I find out in two weeks what I am having. It's so weird. So I'll keep everyone posted. PS I have no advice for you at the moment, but good luck with the cry-out. ;-)

Erin said...

Sarah...I say let her cry it out. That sounds mean right? I say that but I remember it being so hard with Jacob to ever let him cry for very long. Luckily he started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks and we never had a problem after that. That was also when I started him on formula (I didn't produce enough milk for a 9 lb. 3 oz. baby) and I think he was fuller so he slept longer. Be patient, this too shall pass! Crying won't hurt her though and eventually she will learn. She sure is a cutie!